September 18, 2004

The Good Internet

Thanks in part to the urging of fellow Eisengeisters, I've finally switched to Firefox. Thanks very much for the pointer to the Firefox Google Toolbar, which, to my delight, is even better than the one for IE.

The final barrier for my was my reliance on Popup Cop in IE. I not only used it to block popups, but to freeze annoying animated ads on web pages. Unfortunately, they don't have a Firefox version.

BUT, the Adblock Firefox extension is even better, as it can (through progressive configuration) block all advertising images. (Take note, FSL!) I strongly recommend that you install it, and read the instructions on how to use it. Since last night, I've been able to define 10 filters that block almost all advertising images that I typically run into on the Web. Overnight, I've been able to convert my web browser to a program that delivers infomation instead of advertising.

4 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Welcome aboard, open-source comrade! Soon the software swine capitalists shall quake in their boots, and the People's Inbox shall delete the Spammer Dog requests for mercy!

I only have one techinical problem: getting Firefox to allow photos when using Yahoo. There's an IE simulator extension that might work, but even Adblocker's a little too tech for me to use without stumbling around, as it seems to require typing.

September 18, 2004 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

I'm not sure what you mean by "allow photos when using Yahoo." As for the typing: suck it up and type, dude.

September 18, 2004 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 18, 2004 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

You've taken your first step into a larger world.

September 18, 2004 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home