October 07, 2004

"When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up"

No rambling off in the general direction of funny. If you ever needed relief from the deadly light observation on airline food, Dangerfield was the General Sherman of comedy, some classics here .

During sex my wife  always  wants to

talk to me. Just the other night she
called me from a hotel.

He's a fat man,a fat man I tell ya. Why every time he smokes..he blows
onion rings.
She  was  known as a  two  bagger.

That's when a girl is so ugly that
you put a bag over your head in
case the bag over her head breaks.

I would be interested to hear these in Latin.

"Doctor.. every

* morning when I get up and look in
* the mirror..I feel like throwing up;
* what's wrong with me?" He said.."I
* don't know but your eyesight is
* perfect."
*
* I remember when I swallowed a bottle
* of sleeping pills. He told me to
* have a few drinks and get some rest.
*
* I told him I think my wife has VD.
* He gave himself a shot of
* penicillin.
I once read he prepared three months for a two-minute shot on the Tonight Show.

And yet there was a sweetness in the acid, missing from the imitators. He was harder on himself than anyone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

Consider also his brave (and terrific_ performance in the absolutely dreadful film "Natural Born Killers" where fine performances by him & Robert Downey, among others, couldn't redeem Oliver Stones dismal bowel movement of a movie. I suppose it's one thing to play a villain with style or substance or wit (say Malkovich in "In the Line of Fire" or "Dangerous Liaisons" or Gary Sinese in "In the Line of Fire" or John Lithgow or Gene Hackman in a number of roles) but it seems quite another thing to play an ugly, banal, mindless, lazy, crass villain like Rodney did. One of my pet theories is that comic actors are the best actors. Rodney's job in "NBK" made me think that his waters ran deep, and fearleesly.

October 7, 2004 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

I meant fearlessly.

October 7, 2004 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

It's interesting you mentioned that performance - I thought the same thing, the only redeeming part of a movie that lost it's courage and covered it with a lump of random style.

PS Dangerfield on how Large Jimmy Carter Is:

Dr. Edna Casey: Well Mrs. Carter, it's difficult to comprehend just how big he is but to give you some idea, we've asked comedian Rodney Dangerfield to come along today to help explain it to you. Rodney?

[ Rodney Dangerfield enters ]

Rodney Dangerfield: How do you do, how are you?

Ross Denton: Rodney, can you please tell us, how big is the president?

Rodney Dangerfield: Oh, he's a big guy, I'll tell you that, he's a big guy. I tell you he's so big, I saw him sitting in the George Washington bridge dangling his feet in the water! He's a big guy!

Rosalyn Carter: Oh my God! Jimmy! Oh God!

Rodney Dangerfield: Oh, he's big, I'll tell you that, boy. He's so big that when two girls make love to him at the same time, they never meet each other! He's a big guy, I'll tell you!

Rosalyn Carter: Oh no! Oh Jimmy! My Jimmy!

Rodney Dangerfield: I don't want to upset you lady, he's big, you know what I mean? Why he could have an affair with the Lincoln Tunnel! I mean, he's really high! He's big, I'll tell you! He's a big guy!

Rosalyn Carter: No! No! No!

Ross Denton: Rodney, thank you very much. You can go.

Rodney Dangerfield: It's my pleasure. He's way up there, lady! you know what I mean? [ goes off, leaving Rosalyn Carter very upset ]

October 7, 2004 at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home