January 20, 2005

What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?

Every year, the science web site Edge asks science types to answer a question. The question for 2004 was "what do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?"

A sampling:

Steven Pinker: "I believe that the [human] mind is organized into cognitive systems specialized for reasoning about object, space, numbers, living things, and other minds...

Charles Simonyi:
"I believe that we are writing software the wrong way."

Allison Gopnik: "I believe, but cannot prove, that babies and young children are actually more conscious, more vividly aware of their external world and internal life, than adults are.

Freeman Dyson
: "
It never happens that the reverse of a power of two is a power of five."

Robert Sapolsky: "That the wheel, agriculture, and the Macarena were all actually invented by yetis." (Not really, but I love what he wrote.)

Leonard Susskind:
"if I were to flip a coin a million times I'd be damn sure I wasn't going to get all heads. I'm not a betting man but I'd be so sure that I'd bet my life or my soul. I'd even go the whole way and bet a year's salary. I'm absolutely certain the laws of large numbers—probability theory—will work and protect me. "

Bruce Sterling: "We're in for climactic mayhem."

Donald Williamson: "
I believe I can explain the Cambrian explosion."

Kevin Kelly: "I believe, but cannot prove, that the DNA in your body (and all bodies) varies from part to part. "

Randolph Nesse: "I can't prove it, but I am pretty sure that people gain a selective advantage from believing in things they can't prove."

W. Daniel Hillis:
"I believe in moral progress."

Paul Bloom: "...
I believe (though I cannot prove it) that the development of moral reasoning is the same sort of process as the development of mathematical reasoning."

Dennis Dutton: "...the creations of the greatest artists are as much permanent achievements as the discoveries of the greatest scientists."

Daniel Dennett: "I believe, but cannot yet prove, that acquiring a human language (an oral or sign language) is a necessary precondition for consciousness..."

George Dyson: "Interspecies coevolution of languages on the Northwest Coast."

Nassim Talib
:
"The difference between a cab driver and a history professor is only cosmetic as the latter can express himself in a better way."

Seth Lloyd:
I cannot prove that electrons exist, but I believe fervently in their existence. And if you don't believe in them, I have a high voltage cattle prod I'm willing to apply as an argument on their behalf. Electrons speak for themselves.

David Buss: "True love."

What do you believe but cannot prove?

9 Comments:

Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

I believe, but cannot prove, that keeping others' welfare in mind is a better survival strategy than narcissism. Get back to me at the next presidential election.

January 20, 2005 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

I believe, but cannot prove, that one should not skimp on shoes.

January 20, 2005 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

"What I Believe."

I believe in rainbows and puppy dogs and fairy tales.

And I believe in the family - Mom and Dad and Grandma, and Uncle Tom, who waves his penis.

And I believe 8 of the 10 Commandments.

And I believe in going to church every Sunday, unless there's a game on.

And I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, wholesome and natural things that money can buy.

And I believe it's derogatory to refer to a woman's breasts as "boobs", "jugs", "winnebagos" or "golden bozos" and that you should only refer to them as "hooters".

And I believe you should put a woman on a pedestal, high enough so you can look up her dress.

And I believe in equality, equality for everyone, no matter how stupid they are, or how much better I am than they are.

And, people say I'm crazy for believing this, but I believe that aliens are stealing my luggage.

And I believe I made a mistake when I bought a 30-story 1-bedroom apartment.

And I believe the Battle of the Network Stars should be fought with guns.

And I believe that Ronald Reagan can make this country what it once was - an arctic region covered with ice.

And, lastly, I believe that of all the evils on this earth, there is nothing worse than the music you're listening to right now. That's what I believe.

-Steve Martin

January 20, 2005 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

I believe that the word "God" is an extremely general, sloppily inaccurate, dangerously misapplied word that can often be clarified by understanding the concept as equivalent to the sum total of all forms of human, and even non-human, awareness.

January 20, 2005 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

I believe that I may disagree with what you say, sir, but I will defend to the death your right to overquote Voltaire.

January 20, 2005 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

I just realized that I profoundly disagree with Daniel Dennett's belief in language as precondition for consciousness.

January 20, 2005 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Fine, but can you prove that?

January 20, 2005 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

I believe but cannot prove it is better to question your own beliefs, and constantly ratiocinate over the choices you make than take 'common sense beliefs' for granted.

Despite the fact that mankind seems to be wired to do just the opposite.

January 20, 2005 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

I believe, but cannot prove, that I'll have another beer.

January 21, 2005 at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home