September 25, 2005

Music I Can Stand

With some serious help from Jack's Big Music Show (hereafter JBMS), here are some little-known newish artists who I have heard sound good with my own ears:
  • Anne Harris - Plays "Prudence the Music Genie" in an early episode of JBMS. I have not heard her albums, but can testify that: 1) She can fiddle; 2) She can yodel; 3) She's as hot as crawfish in aSzechuan wok. Both she and Richardson (below) are big in Chicago, which is probably why we haven't heard her much out here.
  • Cathy Richardson - I know nothing of her, except this: if she sings any other song with the bluesy power of "Every Animal Has Its Groove", it is worth hearing. Stellar vocalist, can find her way around a guitar neck just fine. Not exactly undiscovered, since she played Janis Joplin Off-Broadway, but it's the first time I'd heard her.
  • Laurie Berkner - I cannot top the reviewer who said: "The queen of kid rock. . .the kind of kids' singer whose songs parents sheepishly play even when their children aren't around... Unlike with some other kids' musicians, it's possible to attend a Berkner concert, listen to one of her CDs, or watch her on TV without wanting to gouge out your eardrums with a screwdriver."
  • OK, this is not from a children's show. But with all my Alaskan and Washington friends, why wasn't I told about Death Cab for Cutie? They are good.
So the crisis has passed. We've got tunes again.

1 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

I am constrained to admit that, although I don't mind Death Cab for Cutie, they don't excite me enough to mention.

MODEST MOUSE are far better, less of a standard 90s era band; their hit song's maybe ironic refrain (and we'll all float on okay) was ubiquitous after the 2004 election. I also keep hearing interesting train wreck stories around town about the singer - I should have mentioned them earlier (good lord, they're even on the Seahawks games as interstitial music).

September 26, 2005 at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home