May 04, 2006

An Argument I´m Starting to Win

Without the Laird for company, my ability to speak Portuguese has soared from non-existent to execrable, so I´m starting to score points in an argument I´ve now had nine times since I got here: "Who is worse, Lula or Bush?"

I explain to Brazilians that Lula is yet but a piker in the evil department and that even in English, I can´t express how much I despise Bush. Still, Lula seems so deeply unpopular, at least among the people who talk to me, that they put up a pretty good fight.

My best line so far "Well, at least Lula speaks English."

As soon as I finish translating the Standard Paragraph into Portuguese, I expect to rack up even more victories.

3 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

These are very fine posts. I think we're all wondering:

A) Are the Brazilians indeed "hot?" (Even Darwin, in Voyage of the Beagle, goes on and on about the women of Rio, the true inspiration, I suspect, for the theory of evolution.)
B) Is Brasila, as you have begun to suggest, and Robert Hughes suggested, indeed the living gravestone of the utopian thread of architectural modernism?
C) Why are earth are you in Brazil? Looking for Dr. X?

May 4, 2006 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger VMM said...

Given that the CSG is not necessarily able to address your queries (from a boat on the Amazon), I will do my best to answer them. I returned from Brazil on Monday.

> Are the Brazilians indeed "hot?"

The most beautiful woman I saw in Brazil was my wife. Other than that, I was forcibly blindfolded most of the time (by my wife), so I'm not sure. (Or, in other words: "Hells yeah!")

> Why are earth are you in Brazil?

We were there (in Sao Paulo) for the wedding of our former neighbor, Carmello. (His wife's family is from Sao Paulo, where he met her.)

May 4, 2006 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Latouche at Large said...

Doctor X is, I am to believe, up a different river entirely.

May 4, 2006 at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home