November 18, 2006

Let's Chat!

I've figured out the whole IRC (Internet Relay Chat) thing, and set up a channel for us on EFNet.

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Install and IRC Client. I personally recommend the free version of Trillian, which can also replace any or all of your IM clients. (I've removed Yahoo! Instant Messenger from all of my computers, and I couldn't be happier.) The download is 8.5 megs, so if you're on a modem, you may want to get a lighter, IRC only client, like mIRC (1.1 megs).
  2. Learn a little bit about IRC. This primer at irchelp.org is a pretty good intro.
  3. Connect to EFNet. Servers are listed here. I use irc.Prison.NET, which is located here in SF. This may be the best bet for everybody, and naturally the response will be faster if we are all on the same server.
  4. Join the channel. I've set up a channel named #isengard.gov, which is open to all, at this point. If need be, we can place more restrictions on it, later.
See you on the Internets!

4 Comments:

Blogger popmonkey said...

use gaim u n00b! it's 133t

November 18, 2006 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger VMM said...

Gaim is another option, though I found that the Windows client crashes almost as much as Yahoo! Instant Messenger. (I switched to Trillian and have had better luck.)

November 18, 2006 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger popmonkey said...

it does occasionally crash, but rarely. and trillian has a hard limit on the # of contacts (100? 200? i dunno, i've never reached it :D) but more importantly, only lets you have one of each type of account. i like having multiple AIM and yahoo accounts so i can talk to myself when there's no one around.

also, try 2.0.0beta5. it pwns.

November 18, 2006 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Hmmmm. This is not as easy to do as I'd hoped, though I managed it. It's been years since I IM'd and many more since irc darkened my desktop.

But it seems to be working now. Perhaps I'm making the Laird's PC beep to itself while otherwise only snores disturb the quiet of Casa Madrona.

Anyway, I hope the barriers to entry aren't too high.

November 19, 2006 at 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home