February 19, 2008

Other People's Word Things

"Words do matter, when they mean something. The Presidency, politics and the law, is very much about words: poetry with consequences. Take the Bible, Hamlet or the U.S. Constitution. They're full of words."

This is the phrase the Clinton campaign is raising as a some sort of plagiarism issue, from Congressman Deval Patrick. No, wait a minute. That was MY phrase, which I thought I made up myself. (Below, On With Obama.)

“Don’t tell me words don’t matter,” he said in his remarks. “ ‘I have a dream.’ Just words? ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.’ Just words? ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself.’ Just words? Just speeches?”

No wait a minute....

"'We have nothing to fear, but fear itself,' … just words. 'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.' Just words. … 'I have a dream' … just words."

No, THAT was it.

This is idiotic. If I had to attribute every quote I've made echoing a two word phrase from my buddies at the Isengard crew, like or "I should get this looked at" or "look out for that bus!," or "how much is that in leather?," I'd have been run over by a bus by now.

In this case, the bus is the the Clinton campaign, but they're about 20 cents short of exact fare.


Ooops! Almost forgot. Today's John McCain old jokes:

1. I don't want to say McCain is old, but last time he wished him a happy birthday, Willard Scott seemed impressed.

2. John McCain's cross-country tour has being delayed weeks by the candidate's insistence on driving the Straight Talk Express bus at 40 mph in the fast lane.

3. McCain vowed to greatly increase civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized motion or standing of minors upon grass-covered areas adjacent to all privately-owned senior housing.

4. John McCain was delighted today at the resignation of Fidel Castro, who he lost a bitter mambo contest to in Havana in 1949.

5. McCain expressed relief today when the University of Michigan department of Archeology announced that while excavating the deepest layer of the ruins of Pompei, they found his watch.

2 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

You totally stole those old-jokes, man!

If only America could free itself from the scourge of plagiarism!

February 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

Stole? Au contraire! What I did not write, I "recontextualized."

February 21, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home