November 01, 2008

Lost this sad news in the election shuffle

Pulitzer prize winning author Studs Terkel dies at 96.

My grandparents made a point of buying me each and every one of his books once I hit my 20s.

Some kids got socks and sweaters. I got Hard Times, Working and The Good War.

Formerly black-listed writer. Chronicler of the common man. Keeper of the labor torch.
In his 90s he was still making news when he sued AT&T to prevent them from turning over phone records to the Feds.

He'll be missed.

1 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

On the verge of a resurgence of law, freedom, decency and progress in government, Studs Terkel was one of the people who held the eternal flame of justice in America - dare I say, the Real America.

The Good War is, bar none, the best single book I've read on WWII: the war is fought and suffered by people, not abstractions. It's so good I personally resented Tom Brokaw's tame imitation.

November 2, 2008 at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home