March 18, 2010

I think I might vote Republican. Really

Tom Campbell is running for the U.S. Senate and I think he's got my vote even though he got his Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Chicago, a grave error I blame on his youth.

I'm tired of Barbara Boxer and maybe she's a bit tired too; she's 70 (he's 58). Or maybe I'm suffering from moderates deprivation.

An example that might not be pointless: here's what you see when you select "issues" from their respective websites (results I have edited selectively, but not completely unfairly, to bolster my argument in a cheap-shot kind of way).

Campbell
Budget Plan, Economy, Health Care, Water, Immigration, National Security, Environment

Boxer
African American Issues, Armenian Issues, Asian American Issues, Latino Issues, LGBT Issues, Progressive Issues, Women

Identity politics makes me feel very tired.

Dr. X's path might have crossed with someone who knows Tom Campbell, so perhaps he will send us an advisory telex from his satellite offices in Itaquitinga where I am given to understand he is reviewing his sugarcane interests.

5 Comments:

Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

Armenia? Really?

Senator Boxer cites an accomplishment:

"In 1997, the Government of Turkey tried to endow a chair of Ottoman and Turkish Studies at UCLA. Boxer wrote a letter to the UCLA Chancellor arguing that this was an insult to the Armenian people and that it would stifle academic freedom. UCLA decided against creating the new department."

Isn't studying stuff a good idea? Couldn't Germany endow a German studies department? What am I not understanding?

March 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

The Republican Party, at this point, is an organization devoted wholly to greed, ignorance and malice. I am far, far, far, far beyond the point of giving them a hearing on anything at all. And I cannot take seriously any political figure that would willingly call themselves a Republican.

March 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger The Front said...

Dr. X posts this from Itaquitinga, where he is reviewing his sugarcane interests:

"I have not met the man, but colleagues who know him have said good things. He appears to be that increasingly rare species, a genuine moderate.

"As for identity politics, he is a strong supporter of gay rights."

March 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Corresponding Secretary General said...

Good points. I commit myself to further study.

March 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger The Front said...

Dr. X posts this from the San Jose Airport parking lot, where he has forgotten where he parked his car:

"You really should publish a CSG Voter's Guide again."

March 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home