December 21, 2004

Sometimes software bugs make me chortle

I've been playing the new Sid Meyer's Pirates game and I came across one of the weirdest bugs I've ever seen in all my 25+ years with computers.

There was this one particular governor's daughter I'd been winning over (had 7 out of 10 hearts) - in the English port of Grand Bahama ... while visiting there the Governor told me she had been kidnapped!

I immediately set out clear across the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico looking for my lost love, vowing vengeance on the lowlife scum that took her. After months of searching and sailing, I found the scoundrel, defeated him, and thus rescued her.. Only to find that her hair had changed from blond to black and her skin had darkened a bit.. she was definitely not the same gal I saw back in Grand Bahama.

I thought it sunburn perhaps, or maybe a change in diet. But when I took her back to
Grand Bahama, I found out why.

During the time of my search, the Spanish had seized Grand Bahama! When that happened, apparently the English Governor's daughter was transmorgified into a Spanish Governor's daughter. But to the game it was the same person that my Pirate persona had been wooing.

Now I know how Lisa Marie felt after she married Michael Jackson...

3 Comments:

Blogger Undersecretary to the Deputy Commissariat said...

Cascading ethnic homogeneity? That's not a bug, it's a feature.

December 22, 2004 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger Viceroy De Los Osos said...

Perhaps your exotic sweety is a cyber transvestite.

December 22, 2004 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger The Sum of All Monkeys said...

While I am enjoying the game, the cartooney graphics completely remove the gritty feel of the original.

So your transvestite comments certainly fit with my one line reviews of the game:

"Pirates: 235% more gay than the original!"or
"Pirates: Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. Emphasis on the Sodomy."

December 22, 2004 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home