July 31, 2008

Archery Anxiety

Interesting article in the NYT about target panic in archery. Both neurological and psychological, the cure has to do with changing grips, and removing the roundrel of the target.

At this level, top archers are of course using the high tech bows - I think this might be part of the problem - they have complex counterbalances and a sight, of course, and I'm guessing the fact of the sight can overwhelm the internal sense of presence and balance and intuition required by traditional archery.

My argument would be better if I was a better shot.

2 Comments:

Blogger VMM said...

My guys at work brought up this article today. I told them I have target panic 100% of the time.

August 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM  
Blogger JAB said...

It really is a fascinatingly concrete study of anxiety, with precisely defined results- the target itself is visibly missed, and the work to overcome is difficult but possible.

I really was impressed by the idea that removing the image of the target for a few weeks, and intuitive or zen-like approaches seemed to help in recovering.

Which goesto archery's sensitivity as a sport reflecting human nature.

And I should probably go shooting this week!

August 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home