February 21, 2008

McCain's Choice: Woman- Or Airport?

This curious comment posted on the NYT's McCain article caught my eye:

In the late 80s, I was trying to develop a major airport in Surprise, Arizona. I and Nick Bacon, then the town manager and a Medal of Honor winner, went to Washington DC to ask McCain for help. We met with McCain and in the hallway outside his office we stopped to talk. A very attractive woman passed by and McCain and the woman smiled at each other. As I spoke to McCain in mid sentence McCain turned to follow the woman, caught up with her and then they had a friendly conversation displaying huge smiles. I told myself when I saw this, McCain was more interested in talking to a pretty woman than listening about building an airport.

-Jon Garrido from Phoenix, Arizona

In all fairness, I'm with McCain on this one.